Federal Independent Living Grant
Through a federal grant from the Rehabilitation Services Administration, the Office of Special Disability Programs provides funding for solutions that help individuals with disabilities maintain independence in their environments.
To qualify for this program, individuals must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must have a severe physical or mental impairment which substantially limits his/her ability to obtain, maintain, or advance in employment
- Must not be eligible to receive duplicate services under any other program.
Services provided through this program include:
- Assistive Aids – Assistive technology such as hearing aids and communication devices.
- Durable Medical Equipment – Assistive devices to assist the participant with their activities of daily living, including but not limited to, wheelchairs, hoyer lifts, and bath lifts.
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations (Home Modifications) – Modifications to the participant’s home to make it easier to access and navigate, including but not limited to, ramps and door widening. Modifications cannot increase the total square footage of the home.
- Vehicle Modifications – Modifications to the participant’s vehicle to make it accessible for them, either as a driver or passenger.
- Orthotics and Prosthetics – Custom braces and artificial limbs to help increase mobility and independence.
For more information, go to the Location Finder or call 1-800-443-1000.